Key Insights on Trademark Class 10 and Listed Goods
The Classification of trademarks into 45 classes of goods and services has made the process of trademark registration in the UAE and other IP offices across the world easier and more efficient. While registering a trademark, the applicants must choose the relevant Class from the Nice Classification List. Selecting the wrong class might lead to brand confusion and may negatively affect trademark enforcement in the UAE.
To avoid this, you need to understand the trademark classes and the goods or services they represent. Trademark agents in the UAE can help you determine the trademark classes as per the Nice Classification List. In this blog, we will discuss the goods covered by Trademark Cass 10. Read ahead to gain more insights:
What Are the Goods Covered by Trademark Class 10?
The trademark class 10 broadly covers Surgical, medical, dental and veterinary apparatus. Consult with trademark agents in Dubai for more information on trademark class 10. Class 10 specifically includes the following goods:
- Supportive bandages and special clothing for medical purposes, for example, compression garments, stockings for varicose, strait jackets, orthopaedic footwear
- Articles, instruments and devices for menstruation, contraception and childbirth, for example, menstrual cups, pessaries, condoms, childbirth mattresses, forceps
- Therapeutic and prosthetic articles and devices for implantation composed of artificial or synthetic materials, for example, surgical implants composed of artificial materials, artificial breasts, brain pacemakers, biodegradable bone fixation implants
- Furniture specially made for medical purposes, for example, armchairs for medical or dental purposes, air mattresses for medical purposes, operating tables
Similar Goods Not Included in Class 10
While registering a trademark in the UAE, you may come across other classes that cover goods similar to your product. This increases the risk of filing your trademark under the wrong class. To save you from this we have compiled a list of similar goods that are not included in Class 10. They are given below:
Medical dressings and absorbent sanitary articles, for example, plasters, bandages and gauze for dressings, breast-nursing pads, diapers for babies and for incontinence, tampons (Cl. 5);
- Surgical implants comprised of living tissue (Class 5)
- Tobacco-free cigarettes for medical purposes (Class 5)
- Electronic cigarettes (Class 34)
- Wheelchairs and mobility scooters (Class 12)
- Massage tables and hospital beds (Class 20)
Related/Coordinated Classes of Trademark Class 10
If you offer any other goods or services under the same brand, it is imperative to choose coordinated classes while conducting trademark registration in the UAE. Coordinated classes cross over within the standard Nice Classification categories as they are related to one another. The following is the list of coordinated classes you may consider for Class:
- Class 5 for pharmaceutical products
- Class 35 for advertising and business services
- Class 42 for science and technology services
- Class 44 for medical and veterinary services
Conduct a Trademark Search for Class 10
Even though there is no legal compulsion to carry out a search before registering a trademark in the UAE, it is advisable to perform it to mitigate many risks. If you do not conduct a trademark search in the UAE before submitting the application, you can expect substantial delays, third-party opposition, and even outright rejection. A comprehensive trademark search will help you ensure there will be no likelihood of confusion resulting from the registration of your trademark. Trademark agents in the UAE can conduct a trademark search based on the trademark class on your behalf.
Protect your Brand through Trademark Agents in the UAE
When conducting trademark registration in the UAE, brand owners need to list at least one trademark class in their application. The applicants should also include relevant coordinated classes for increasing the scope of trademark protection in the UAE. Brand owners finding it tough to select the right trademark class can choose the primary and coordinated classes with the help of trademark agents in the UAE such as Jitendra Intellectual Property (JIP).
We are one of the leading providers of trademark registration services in Dubai, UAE with years of commendable experience. Our agents are highly qualified and well-versed in the UAE Trademark Law and the procedures of the UAAE Ministry of Economy. JIP can help you navigate the complex procedures set out by the UAE Trademark Office so that you can avoid opposition or outright refusals. We can also help you track infringers through our robust trademark watch services in the UAE. If you want to protect your trademark internationally, JIP can help you file a trademark using the Madrid Protocol system. Contact us today for more information on our services.