What are the Services Covered Under Trademark Class 36?
By conducting trademark registration in the UAE, brand owners get an exclusive right to use their products or services. However, you need to file your trademark under the right classes of goods and services while registering a trademark in the UAE. For example, if you want to get protection for insurance, financial or real estate services, you should file a trademark under Class 36 as per the Nice Classification.
The Nice Classification List divides trademarks into 45 categories of goods and services. Of the 45 classes in the Nice List, 34 represent goods and 11 are for services. While registering a trademark, you will be required to nominate one or more of these classes in the application. Trademark agents in the UAE can help you select the right classes for your trademarks. In this blog, you will learn more about Class 36 of Nice Classification. Read ahead to know more about the services covered under Class 36:
Services Covered under Trademark Class 36
In broader terms, the trademark Class 36 is for Financial, monetary and banking services; insurance services and real estate affairs. The trademark Class 36 mainly represents services related to banking and other financial transactions, financial valuation services, as well as insurance and real estate activities. The following services are included under trademark Class 36:
- Financial transaction and payment services such as exchanging money, electronic funds transfer, processing of credit card and debit card payments, issuance of travellers’ cheques;
- Financial management and research;
- Financial appraisals like jewellery, art and real estate appraisal, repair costs evaluation;
- Cheque verification;
- Financing and credit services including loans, issuance of credit cards, hire- or lease-purchase financing;
- Safe deposit services;
- Financial sponsorship;
- Real estate agency services, real estate management, rental of apartments, rent collection;
- Insurance underwriting, actuarial services;
- Brokerage services such as securities, insurance and real estate brokerage, brokerage of carbon credits, and pawn brokerage.
Similar Services not Covered by Class 36
Brand owners may become confused by trademark classes that include services similar to those covered under Class 36. Without proper Nice Classification awareness, they might end up choosing the wrong trademark classes. Such mistakes can be avoided by discussing the classes with trademark agents in the UAE. Given below is the list of goods not covered under Trademark Class 36:
- Administration services relating to business transactions and financial records. For example, book-keeping, drawing up of statements of accounts, business and financial auditing, business appraisals, tax preparation and filing services (Class 35 );
- Sponsorship search, promotion of goods and services through sponsorship of sports events (Class 35)
- Cash replenishment of automated teller machines (Class 39 );
- Freight brokerage, transport brokerage (Class 39 );
- Quality evaluation of wool and standing timber (Class 42 )
Related or Coordinated Classes to Class 36
Selecting an appropriate trademark class is critical for trademark enforcement in the UAE. However, choosing only the primary trademark class will not be adequate for you. You can select other classes if they are related to an additional product or service that you offer under the trademark in question. Such related classes are called coordinated classes. Trademark consultants in Dubai can advise you to select the following coordinated classes for Class 36:
- Class 35 – Advertising and Business Services
- Class 37 – Construction and Repair Services
- Class 38 – Telecommunications Services
- Class 39 – Transportation and Storage Services
- Class 40 – Material Treatment Services
- Class 41 – Education and Entertainment Services
- Class 42 – Computer and Scientific Services
- Class 43 – Hotels and Restaurants Services
- Class 44 – Medical, Beauty, and Agricultural Services, and
- Class 45 – Personal and Legal Services.
Protect your Valued Brand through Trademark Agents in the UAE
When applying for trademark registration in the UAE, brand owners must list at least one trademark class in their application. They should also add relevant coordinated classes for increasing the scope of trademark protection. Business owners who find the process tough and tiring can select the classes with the help of trademark agents in the UAE such as Jitendra Intellectual Property (JIP).
We are one of the leading providers of trademark services in Dubai with years of experience. Our agents are highly qualified and well-versed in the UAE Trademark Law. JIP can help you navigate the complex procedures set out by the UAE Trademark Office so that you can avoid opposition or outright refusals. We can also help you track infringers through our robust trademark watch services in the UAE. If you want to protect your trademark internationally, JIP can help you file a trademark using the Madrid Protocol system. Contact us today for more information on our services.