Registering Biocides with Dubai Municipality: Key Conditions & Requirements
Biocides are products that show bactericidal, fungicidal, virucidal or any other efficacy against microorganisms. The sale of biocides is highly regulated, which requires the suppliers to conduct product registration in Dubai before starting to sell them in the country. Suppliers must ensure that biocides receive a national authorisation from Dubai Municipality before they are being placed in the local market.
Failing to register products with Dubai Municipality will lead to rejection during shipment along with other relevant penalties. This means suppliers of biocides must first understand the procedures of product registration set out by the Dubai Municipality. The process may appear to be complex, but product registration agents in Dubai can help you out. Read ahead to know further about registering biocides with Dubai Municipality:
Scope & Classification of Biocide Products
Before starting the process of product registration in Dubai, you must get to know the type of biocide products that are being regulated by the Municipality. Dubai Municipality defines biocides as “Any substance or mixture, in the form in which it is supplied to the user, consisting of, containing or generating one or more active substances, with the intention of destroying, deterring, rendering harmless, preventing the action of, or otherwise exerting a controlling effect on, any harmful organism by any means other than mere physical or mechanical action.” As per the definition, the following types of products must be registered with the Dubai Municipality:
- Hand Sanitizers & Antibacterial personal care products (Human Hygiene)
- Floor disinfectant, multipurpose disinfectant products such as B2B disinfectant Chemicals (disinfectants not intended for human application)
- Disinfectants and antimicrobial hygiene products used in farms (Veterinary Hygiene)
- Hard surface disinfectant used in slaughterhouse, Vegetable & fruits disinfection products, disinfectant products used in food processing areas (food & food area hygiene)
- Fountains water Disinfectants, Swimming Pools water Disinfectants (Water Hygiene)
- Insect repellent sprays & creams (Insect Repellents)
Who Should Apply for Biocides Product Registration?
Importers, local manufacturers of biocides or distributors or those who import or manufacture the products on their behalf are responsible for getting the products registered with the Dubai Municipality. However, the applicants must be either, a company incorporated in Dubai, or have a warehouse in Dubai with a valid trade license on activities related to Biocides.
Manufacturers must ensure that the biocide products must be registered with Dubai Municipality before being placed in the local market. Importers or their local agents must ensure that the products are registered with Dubai Municipality consignments of biocide products are imported to Dubai. Product registration agents in Dubai can help you register a product with the Dubai Municipality.
Process of Product Registration with Dubai Municipality
For registering any product with the Dubai Municipality, you must have a valid trade license. Importers can appoint local distributors to register their products before the shipment. The following steps must be executed to register the products:
- Submit the application
- Submission of relevant documents
- Review by Dubai Municipality
- Issuance of product registration certificate
Ground for Rejection of Product
Dubai Municipality will approve your application if you have met all the mandatory requirements. However, there are certain reasons due to which the Municipality may reject the application. Product registration agents in Dubai can help you avoid rejection. The Dubai Municipality would reject biocide registration applications for the following reasons:
- Presence of prohibited ingredients
- Incomprehensible label information
- Not declaring ingredients on the label
- Ingredient information is written in languages other than Arabic & English
- Any information that misleads the users or information contradicting scientific facts
Key Labelling Requirements for Product Registration
As per the technical guidelines for biocides published by the Dubai Municipality, labels of commercial products need to contain relevant information to caution users of possible danger and the steps to deal with the risks arising as a result of the misuse of products. Given below are the required information that must be declared in clear English and/or Arabic:
- Brand name
- Product Name (a trademark or trade name can’t be used)
- Details of the manufacturer including name, address, and web address
- Country of origin
- Information on ingredients
- Size or weight of the product
- Production and expiry date
- Storage Condition
- Usage Instructions
- Health Warning
- Batch Number
- Medical Claims
- Inconsistent illustrations
- Hazard symbols
How Can Jitendra Intellectual Property Help You?
Selling biocides is a lucrative opportunity for business people as Dubai offers a conducive environment. Importers, distributors and manufacturers must conduct product registration in Dubai before placing the product on the local market. Failing to do so will lead to rejection during shipment, which necessitates the hiring of experts to assist you in the process. Product registration agents in Dubai such as Jitendra Intellectual Property (JIP) can help you meet the requirements.
JIP is a full-service Intellectual Property (IP) firm that provides bespoke product registration services in Dubai. We have a team of highly experienced product registration agents who can assist you in registering your products through the proper documentation process. JIP will take care of all the requirements including the trade license, label assessment etc.