Top Requirements to Obtain ESMA Certification for OXO Bio-Degradable Plastics
Oxo-biodegradable plastic bags/materials, mainly used in packaging, have a huge market in the UAE. A retail powerhouse like the UAE offers more opportunities for those who produce, import or sell such products in the UAE. However, to leverage this vast market benefit, the businesses need to adhere to the regulations of product registration in the UAE set out by the Emirates Authority for Standardisation and Metrology (ESMA).
ESMA defines Oxo-biodegradable Plastic bags as those that degrade when subjected to environmental conditions to produce water, carbon dioxide, and biomass. Since the abuse of such products has a detrimental effect on the environment, ESMA strictly subjects all such products to compliance assessment. Products that don’t comply with the ESMA standards will be either rejected during shipment (for imports) or will be removed from the market (for locally distributed products).
Product registration agents in Dubai can help you simplify the process of getting ESMA certification for Oxo-biodegradable plastic bags. This article intends to give you a clear picture of all the conditions and requirements businesses should meet while certifying Oxo-biodegradable plastic bags with the ESMA. Keep reading.
Emirates Conformity Assessment Scheme
Businesses that deal with the sale, import and making of Oxo-biodegradable Plastic bag products will be tested for compliance under the Emirates Conformity Assessment Scheme (ECAS). Meeting the requirements under the ECAS is necessary for the businesses to clear the Customs and place the products in the UAE Marketplace. The ECAS certificate is proof that the UAE Federal Government has approved the product through ESMA. You can quickly obtain an ECAS certificate with the help of product certification agents in Dubai.
Type of Products that Require ESMA Certification
All kinds of Oxo-biodegradable Plastic bags that come within the scope of ESMA product certification must get a conformity certificate to be eligible for distribution in the UAE. The ESMA product registration mandate covers products such as
- Carrier bags, including shopping bags, garbage bags, garment bags, disposable bags etc.
- Courier and Security bags.
- Mail Order Bags such as Magazine and Newspaper Bags
- Disposable items like plastic plates and plastic cups
- Bubble Wrap and Cushioning Packaging
- Flower Wrap
- Overwrap Packaging
- Stretch Film
- Cling Film
- Shrink Film
- Plastic Liners for Cartons
- Personal Care products made of plastic materials such as gloves, shoe covers, aprons and any disposable personal care products
- Plastic bags for seedlings
- Polyethene Sheets on Rolls such as table covers
- Bags for packaging Bread, nuts, sweets and all bakery items etc.
Compliance Requirements for Registration
Applicants for ESMA product certification should adhere to the following compliance standards and technical requirements:
- Compliance with UAE Standard 5009/2009
- Quality management system implemented in the factory in line with ISO 9001
- Demonstrate the use of ESMA-approved additives in making plastic objects and other Oxo-biodegradable materials. Additives used for plastic objects and food application shall be food-safe and should submit documentation as proof of compliance
- Declaration of Conformity supported by Test Reports required under Clause 7 of UAE S. 5009/2009
- Compliance of the product according to the labelling requirements mentioned in UAE S. GSO 1827/2007
- Use of Conformity Mark of Oxo-biodegradable Plastic objects
- Valid trade license issued by UAE free zone or mainland authorities (for local companies)
- Proof of Exclusive Distributorship from the manufacturer (for selling imported products)
- Abiotic Degradation Test Report
- Chemical Analysis of residual material and Non-degradable fraction
- Ultimate Aerobic Biodegradability Test Report
- Quality Manual
- Location map of factory (for local manufacturers)
Registration Procedure for ESMA Product Certification
With the help of product registration agents in the UAE, you can register a product in line with the following steps:
1. Application submission
The application for ESMA product certification should be submitted along with all the documents.
2. Sampling & testing the product
An ESMA official or authorised personnel will conduct an audit once the applicant submits the necessary documents. The quality management system should be implemented at the factory and must draw samples for testing.
3. Registration of the product with ESMA
The product will be registered with ESMA if the product fully complies with the requirements of UAE S. 5009/2009. In case of non-compliance or partial compliance, you must rectify the non-compliances within the agreed time. The ESMA will issue an ECAS Registration Certificate once the applicant manages to ensure full compliance with the ESMA’s standards for product registration in the UAE.
How Can Jitendra Intellectual Property Help you?
Obtaining a conformity certificate from ESMA is mandatory if you want to legally sell your Oxo-biodegradable plastic bags in the UAE. Products that fail to comply with ESMA’s requirements for product registration in the UAE will be regarded as fake and rejected. Understanding all the requirements, technical regulations and complying with the necessary standards is a complex process. However, it can be simplified with the assistance of product registration agents in Dubai, such as Jitendra Intellectual Property (JIP).
JIP has a proven record of helping companies meet the technical standards set out by ESMA. Our consultants are well-versed in all the legislations and regulations associated with the process of ESMA product certification in the UAE. We can help you in critical matters such as document drafting, application filing, testing & sampling, and factory audit. In short, JIP’s product registration services in Dubai, UAE, helps you to foster your sales & reputation by complying with the laws of the land.